13 July 2010

Favorite Summer Recipes


Okay, for not cooking but about six or two times this summer, I do have some favorite summer recipes. Shockingly, most do not involve cooking. It's a love language: a meal without cooking.

I posted this recipe previously, but I've so enjoyed it this summer that I have to post again. I actually halve this recipe for me and Husby, and prepare it along side some other light dish.

Goat Cheese with Thyme, Peppercorns and Lemon Oil
From Bon Appétit, July 2007

Pink peppercorns and peppercorn mélange (a mixture of black, pink, green, and white peppercorns) are available at many supermarkets. They have a milder flavor than black peppercorns, which could be used in a much smaller amount.

1 (5.5-ounce) log soft mild goat cheese
1 teaspoon pink peppercorns or peppercorn mélange, cracked
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 small garlic clove, pressed (optional)
Sliced baguette (toasted, if desired)

Place cheese on plate; using plastic wrap as aid, shape into 5-inch round. Sprinkle with salt, peppercorns, and thyme, and press into cheese. Mix olive oil, lemon peel, and garlic, if desired, in small bowl. Pour over cheese. Serve with baguette.

My second recipe has a little history. When I was a freshman or so in high school, a local family asked me and my BFF if we would come to their house to cook and babysit over a long weekend. This was one of the meals we made. My mom reminded me that she had the recipe; again, it's a repeat.

Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil

6 whole tomatoes (blanched, peeled, juiced and quartered)
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Spaghetti or linguine or other pasta, cooked
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

After tomatoes are blanched, juiced and quartered, sprinkle with salt and let stand 10 minutes to rid of excess moisture. Chop tomatoes. Combine first 6 ingredients. Toss with pasta and top with Parmesan. Serve chilled.

Technically, blanching and boiling spaghetti require boiling water, but that about it. And if you're pressed for time, my mom modifies this recipe and uses grape tomatoes cut in half. Either way, it's a yummy, summery meal.

6 comments :

Unknown said...

I loooove spaghetti! This looks great!

Lindsay said...

I love spaghetti! MUST try this recipe!

Beth McC. said...

I just printed off that Spaghetti recipes!!! YUM!

Linda said...

Good job sister! LOVE the spaghetti! So refreshing.

Pleasant Living said...

Yum! The spaghettis sounds great! Goat cheese. I have to be in the mood for it, and I don't EVER want to smell it. But, on many occasions, I do like it. I'll try both of these!

bargainblondie said...

This sounds so good, I am going to have to try it! Thanks for stopping by!