08 November 2011

Thankful: Day 8

Today, I don't feel super thankful.
Is that bad to say? Probably.
I just can't think of a "great" thing.
Don't get me wrong, I have so much to be thankful for,
but I don't want my month of thankfulness to feel like a month of things I like best, forgetting the rest.
I don't want to brag about what I have, lest I covet what I don't have.
I don't want to only acknowledge the things that make my life more comfortable.
Or the situations that I adore and are easy.
 
I feel like I shouldn't be thankful only for the things that are going right;
actually, I know that I shouldn't be thankful only for the good and right and fair.
In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 it says:
 
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
 
Thankfulness obviously isn't supposed to be observed only for a month--or a day.
But in a society where thankfulness often is equated with possessions,
it's nice to shine light on what makes us thankful.
I know that I don't live like this regularly. I should, but I don't.
This is my confession.
 
I am thankful for a God who loves me, even when I don't thank Him enough.
And when I don't thank him for what he's supplied? He still loves me.
For that, I am thankful.