13 November 2011

Thankful: Day 13

I am thankful for the command to observe the Sabbath.
To rest. To reflect. To be restored.
Unfortunately, I don't always do it.
I have things to accomplish.
Things that seem more important than renewal.

Currently, I have a list to complete:
straighten the house, wash the last two loads of clothes,
change the sheets on our bed, partially pack for a work trip, vacuum...
the list goes on. And so could I.
But I've decided to sit and rest. To reflect. To write and remember.
To connect with friends with notes actually mailed to them. To pray for these friends.
To drink a cup of vanilla caramel tea while rosemary apple butter simmers on the stove.

This afternoon, I'm observing the Sabbath.
In this light the Sabbath prescription is a loving reminder to take full advantage of a condition that already exists. At rest, our souls are restored. This is the only commandment that begins with the word “remember,” as if it refers to something we already know, but have forgotten. It is good. It is whole. It is beautiful. In our hurry and worry and acquiring and working, we forget. Rest, take delight in the goodness of creation, and remember how good it is.
~Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller


No comments :