21 September 2010

A Yummy Dinner (Recipes Included)

To celebrate our 11 Monthiversary, I made a cozy dinner. I always think of soups and casseroles as cozy, fall foods. Even though it's far from fall weather, we were tucked away indoors as it rained outside. And sometimes, I have to pretend that it's cool/cold outside, so rainy weather and soup--with the A/C blasting--does the trick! I also LOVE SANDWICHES, so this was a perfect meal.

I found a Cheesy Beer Soup recipe and was intrigued. When I reviewed the recipe and process, I decided that I'd make a few changes to the ingredients and preparation. Honestly, while it was cooking, Husby and I both taste-tested it and weren't crazy about it. But the flavor definitely grew on us, and we were excited to have leftovers. I think it's best to serve it with something else, just to cut the richness of the soup. (See: oven ham sammies, below.)

Cheesy Beer Soup
Adapted from original recipe

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup flour
6 tablespoons butter
3 cups milk
1 can or bottle beer
3 handfuls Colby-Jack shredded cheese
8 oz. Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, or to taste
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Instructions
Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat, until soft. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Once butter is melted, slowly add 1/2 cup flour, whisking to avoid clumps. Once flour is incorporated, cook for about 1 minute, whisking the entire time. Next, add the milk slowly, continue whisking.

Add the beer and chicken bouillon cubes, allow to heat and dissolve the cubes. Add the Velveeta slowly. Stir often (or the entire time) to keep the soup from scorching. Add the shredded Colby-Jack cheese. Once all cheese is melted, add Tabasco sauce and salt.

Next up: Oven Ham Sammies.


I found this sandwich recipe on Tasty Kitchen. Always one to find recipes and print them, sometimes I struggle to make the recipes. But I'm SO GLAD that I made this one.

It's shocking that I did make it, as I have an aversion to the word "sammies." Thanks a lot, Rachael Ray. I also don't love Swiss cheese, but I decided to remain true to the recipe and use it instead of cheddar. Actually, the one thing that won me over was the Hawaiian rolls used to make these things. Mmm! It was a great choice to compliment the cheese-iness of the Cheesy Beer Soup.

Oven Ham Sammies

Ingredients
16 ounces, weight Thin Sliced Deli Ham
3 slices Swiss cheese, cut into fourths
1 package King Hawaiian Rolls, 12 count
1/2 cups butter, melted
2 teaspoons Onion Flakes
1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Instructions
Put ham and cheese in between sliced rolls. Mix all other ingredients and spoon over sandwiches. Let set overnight or several hours.

Bake on 350F for 15 minutes before serving.

Seriously, you have to try these recipes! They're really good, and I had dinner made in about 30 minutes.

1 comment :

michelle ellis said...

Yummy! That sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!