12 September 2010

Weekend Update (with a Recipe)

Oh my word. The busyness of the impending holiday season has already begun! I feel like we run from one thing to another. It's not that I don't want to do things or see people, it's just that I really like my bed. My 5:30am workout is going into the third week, so I cherish the weekends when I wake up after the sun. (Oh, and that little tip about getting up at the same time everyday. Not doing it. That's just crazy talk.)

On Friday night, my friend and college roomie, Adriane was in town. For our quality time, we ran errands. I think that screams "adult." Running errands after work on a Friday afternoon. You know what else screams adult? When she left to go visit another friend, I went to the grocery store--on a Friday evening. IT WAS HEAVEN. There were so few people. I think I might do it next week.

After a trip for groceries, I grabbed dinner to go for me and Husby. I called about five minutes out, so that he'd be ready to help carry in the trunk load, only to find out that we'd lost power. We ate dinner outside with the citronella candles that proved useless, since I have mosquito bites all over. Just as we were done, the electricity came back on. Hallelu! I had a baby shower to prep!

My friend-sister like person, Ashley, is preggers with her first baby. We grew up together, and our families are still inseparable. It's so exciting! I made a yummy cheese ball. (I'll post that recipe later in the week.) As soon as I started on the next project, we lost power. Again. Grr! It came back on much more quickly than the first time. Once the lights were on, I finished making a mobile for the nursery, as well as big, colorful tissue pouf balls for shower decor.

On Saturday, I drove to my hometown for the shower. It was a great morning/early afternoon. I was able to see tons of people who I haven't seen in quite a while--at least since our wedding, almost 11 months ago! It was a fabulous shower, and OH SO CUTE! Of course, being away from home for the morning and most of the afternoon meant that dinner was in the hands of Husby. I gave him the recipe for Crockpot Chicken and Black Beans (recipe below), and it turned out wonderfully! It's definitely a repeat for us--it was yummy and easy.

Today has been a day for cleaning. Seriously, I loathe cleaning. And not only did I clean, but decided both bathrooms needed to be reorganized, which meant everything from both rooms pulled out into other rooms. It looked horrible for most of the day. But now, it looks so nice! Hopefully, it will be much more functional.

I'm off to our clean room to get ready for bed in our clean, reorganized bathroom. I hope you have a great Monday!

Crockpot Chicken and Black Beans

4 FROZEN boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C salsa
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 oz. cream cheese

Place chicken, salsa, beans, corn and spices into crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours, or until chicken is done. Place cream cheese on top 30 minutes before serving. Stir into mixture when melted. Serve with rice.

No comments :