23 January 2011

A First: Making Chili

You'd think that being from Texas, I'd have a chili recipe that I've cooked since I was three. Chili is kind of a big deal in Texas. BUT I don't always love it. Sometimes it's super greasy or really meaty. Both of these are turn-offs for me. I do realize that a card-carrying Texas wouldn't admit this, but I like beans in my chili. It kind of breaks up the monotony of eating bite after bite of meat. I finally found a recipe that I like and made chili for my very first time.

Every month at work, parents bring lunch to the faculty. It is so thoughtful that they do this. This week, they served the Upper School baked potatoes and chili. I think the intention was to eat them separately, but I topped my potato with the chili. Yum! I was blown away by how much I actually liked the chili. I mean, it smelled great, but tasted even better! That afternoon, I emailed the parent who made it and asked for the recipe (and hoping it wasn't some family secret!). Turns out, she just threw it together. Luckily, she remembered what she did for this batch.

I made it for dinner last night, and then we had it again today atop some Fritos for a nice Fritos Chili Pie. I think next time, I'll add a little more cayenne pepper to the mix, but overall it was really nice.

Chili

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch green onion, chopped
Handful of cilantro, chopped
1 T butter
2 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey
Chili seasoning mix (ex: Wick Fowler's False Alarm)
16 oz. tomato sauce
1 C water
2 cans Ranch Style Beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes

Directions
In a large pot, saute onion, green onion, and cilantro with butter over medium-high heat; set aside when onion is translucent. Brown meat; drain. Add meat and onion mixture back to pot. Stir in chili seasoning, tomato sauce and water. Allow to come to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Add beans and tomatoes. Let simmer over low heat for several hours, stirring occasionally.

1 comment :

Linda said...

You can also use RoTel tomatoes (what Peggy does). Of course, I use 2 cans of tomatoes! Now I'm hungry for chili--Mmmm!! Love you, Mom