24 November 2009

Heaven in a Pan with Butter on Top

While in high school, I met two people who've made a huge impact on my life: Todd & Gina. They were my Sunday school teachers, and they rocked. It was so fun to have a young couple as leaders.

One perk of teaching high-school age kids is a never-ending list of babysitters. Todd & Gina had just two girls, and I became their babysitter. You know? Like their favorite babysitter. (I'm quite proud to have been the favorite. And the best. Right Gina?)

So, these two girls, Danielle and Dixie, have sort of grown up, and Danielle is in college, and I feel really old, knowing that if I had kids she'd be past the babysitting age. Ugh. But I still keep in contact with this amazing family, who has added a third girl, Delaney, to the mix. I invite myself to birthday parties, family dinners, and graduation celebrations.

When Danielle was home from college over Halloween, I manipulated an invite to dinner, along with dessert. I figure, if I'm inviting myself over, I might as well make sure Gina's cooking a meal that's complete with dessert!

The day before our family dinner, I received a text asking if I like pumpkin. Well, I haven't gone more than four days without pumpkin or some other orange vegetable since October, so I gave a thumbs up.

(As a side note, I'm pretty sure Husby had tears of joy in his eyes when we had broccoli at a restaurant this weekend. Yep, it's been that long since I've cooked green vegetables.)

(And when asked if I would bring a green vegetable to Thanksgiving, before I could answer, he agreed for me. Poor thing. After Thursday, I'm going to try really hard to alternate orange and green veggies. It may be more like 70-30, but it's a start.)

So, our dessert for family dinner was Pumpkin Crunch. I like to call it "Heaven in a Pan with Butter on Top." Husby and I both agreed that we like it much better than pumpkin pie. Yeah, it's that good.

(Mom, when you read this, I do like your pumpkin pie, but as a rule, I don't like the texture of pumpkin pie. I know I've put on a good bluff for over two decades. I hope you'll still love me. I love you, but not pumpkin pie.)

If you haven't settled on a Thanksgiving dessert, I highly recommend this. I'd be taking it to Thanksgiving had I not been volunteered for the green veggies!

Pumpkin Crunch
from the kitchen of Gina

1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pkg boxed yellow cake mix
1 cup pecans
1 cup butter, melted
Cool Whip or ice cream

Preheat oven to 350. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture. Top with pecans. Drizzle melted butter over pecans. Bake 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

2 comments :

devon said...

That recipe sounds AMAZING....I will make Josh eat it tonight! Love you friend...Happy Thanksgiving Mrs. Wait!

Linda said...

Mmmmm! It is Deee-lishous! Yea, I'm learning you faked a lot of things over the years...even Santa. I still love you sweet girl.
Happy Thanksgiving! Mom