01 June 2011

a (monthly) meal plan

If you've read my blog for a while, you might remember that last January I made a meal plan for an entire month. It was ambitious, and it worked. I love to cook, and I love recipes. I've had several people remark about my reliance on recipes, as opposed to just whipping something up. Honestly, I love recipes. I love a plan. Thus my return to a month of meals planned, inserted onto a calendar with recipes printed and in order of use.

Perhaps we don't know how to do it, but during our packing-moving-painting-unpacking time, we ate out a lot. Too much. Like when you don't ever want to step foot in a restaurant again, especially of the fast food variety. And it's expensive! We spent way too much money eating out in the last month. My declaration last night was we can eat out and stray from the meal plan, but we have to use a gift card. And there could be an occasion when we don't want to turn down an offer with friends, which will be fine. But we have to reign in the spending on food!

From now until June 30, I know what we'll have for dinner. I gathered recipes from Tasty Kitchen, The Pioneer Woman, a high school friend Lori (who's doing 30 days of cooking on the George Foreman, and has posted some great recipes) and SkinnyTaste.  It includes tons of fresh fruits and veggies. I've also decided to have fish once a week, and a vegetarian meal thrown in most weeks. Husby and I usually eat dinner with his family once a week, so that's a plus. (And we're often sent home with leftovers. Score! Since we live too far away to drive home from work, I have to make sure Husby is well fed at lunch, so this is perfect.)

This weeks menu includes:

Monday: Okay, we ate out. Last time until July 1. Unless we use a gift card.

Tuesday: Chicken & Veggie Kebabs

Wednesday: Homemade Fish Sticks, Red Corn on the Cob (yes, it really is red), Applesauce (it's yummy with fish!)

Thursday: Eat at Husby's parents

Friday: Farro Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella

Saturday: Graduation Party (I'll be at the sushi station.)

When I come across a recipe that we love, I'll be sure to share it. And I'm in the market for good summer lunch ideas, so if you have any, send them my way!

No comments :